Kirkland Yogurt Shop Calls Police on Black Man

For the crime of making the owner afraid for no reason, police forced him to leave.

Brooklyn
♪♫ Evil Admin ♫♪
Pronouns: she/her, they/them
Mood:
Loading…

Post 6 months ago

I suppose Mr. Ragland is just happy to survive the encounter. Pretty much all of eastern King County is like this.
When I play the 911 call for Byron Ragland — the emergency call about him — I study his face. I expect that maybe he’ll get angry.

Instead he looks sad. When it ends, after three minutes, he sits back across the table and his eyes mist up a bit.

“What’s my reaction?” he says, after I ask. “My reaction is that this was just another Wednesday.”

It was a week ago Wednesday when Ragland was sitting in a Menchie’s, the frozen-yogurt franchise, on Northeast 124th Street in Kirkland.

Ragland, 31, is both a court-appointed special advocate and a visitation supervisor, so his job is to oversee meetings between kids and the parents who have lost custody of them.

That’s what he was doing at the store — he was supervising an outing between a mother and her 12-year-old son. The boy wanted ice cream, so the three drove to Menchie’s, arrived together and had been sitting there for about half an hour, visiting, when Ragland looked up to find two police officers standing at the table.

“They asked me to leave,” Ragland said. “They asked for my ID. They told me the manager had been watching me and wanted me to move along.”
https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... black-man/
0 x